In football, we have seen many furious reactions by players on getting subbed by his manager but what happened yesterday in the Carabao Cup final between Chelsea and Manchester City is something we have never seen before.
- The match was nicely poised at 0-0 and had just a minute left to go into penalties when Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri decided to sub goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.
- Kepa had just stopped a curling shot from Sergio Aguero and was streching and struggling to make it to his feet which provoked Sarri to turn to Willy Caballero.
- But surprisingly enough, Kepa refused to come off the pitch as he felt he was fine.
- The argument went on for a while as Kepa refused to obey the orders of both Maurizio Sarri and Gianfranco Zola and stayed put on the pitch.
- Referee Jonathan Moss had a discussion with Maurizio Sarri and eventually the substitution was called off.
- This made Sarri aboslutely furious and the Chelsea boss tried walking out of the ground.
- This became the biggest talking point of the match and the fans are slamming the Spanish goalkeeper for his disrespectful act.
- Watch the video here:
- But Kepa has come up and appologized for the misunderstanding stating that he had no intentions of going against the manager.
“I understand that on television, on social media, they’re talking about this but I am here to explain it, to say that it wasn’t my intention to go against the manager. We have spoken now, and I was only trying to say I’m fine. He thought I wasn’t fine. It was
in tensemoments, with a lot happening”
“I think it was just misunderstood, and
unfortunate,because now people are talking about this… I don’t know what to say, other than to say it was not my intention in any moment.”
- According to BBC, Maurizio Sarri too has given his verdict on the same:
“I misunderstood the problem and only
realisedthe situation when the doctor arrived at the bench”
“He understood I asked for a change for his physical problem. He said: ‘I haven’t a physical problem.’ And he was right.”
- But while the issue has been solved in the Chelsea camp, netizens did not hold back their opinions and slammed Arrizabalaga for what he did.
- Here’s the first one:
- There were jokes too!
- Another one:
- The best of the lot:
Let us know what you think of the situation!