There were two matches of great stature played today in the UEFA Champions League as Barcelona hosted Manchester United while Juventus locked horns against Ajax at home. In the end it was Barcelona and Ajax who had the last laugh as the night ended in despair for both Manchester United and Juventus.
- Barcelona had the advantage going into the second leg as they pulled off hard fought 1-0 victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford.
- Manchester United started the game strong but a mistake from Ashley Young helped Lionel Messi take full advantage of it.
- Messi put Barcelona in the lead with an unstoppable shot right in the bottom corner.
- The second goal also came from the Argentine maestro as David de Gea failed to grab a weak shot Messi’s right foot.
- Philippe Coutinho added the final nail in the coffin with a stunning goal as Barcelona progressed 4-0 on aggregate.
- On the other hand juventus had the advantage playing at home against a young Ajax side.
- The first leg between the two sides ended in a 1-1 draw with both sides equally deserving to move into the semi-final.
- Cristiano Ronaldo put Juventus into the lead with a stunning header but Ajax equalised soon after through Donny van de Beek.
- After a wave of attacks Ajax finally got their second when skipper Matthijs de Ligt rose above all to head his team in to the semi-final.
- Ajax went through 3-2 on aggregate.
What a night of football!