Five leopard cubs, two males and three females were burnt alive in Maharashtra’s Pune after the field was put on fire to kill a snake.
- The farmers had to burn the residual crops after one of them allegedly spotted a Russell’s Viper Snake while cutting sugarcane.
- The farmers claim that they were unaware about the presence of the cubs in the field before the incident.
- They have been warned by the Forest Authorities from going back to the field as the mother leopard would come back looking for them and could turn violent.
- “Farm workers tried to burn dry waste of the farm, following which a blaze broke out. After some people in the area noticed the presence of cubs, the fire brigade, police and forest department were alerted. But it was too late as by then the cubs were charred to death,” a police official said.
- The incident was reported on Wednesday from Gawadewadi village in Ambegaon taluka.
This incident, is unfortunately, not the first incident of it’s kind. Two cubs were reportedly saved from a similar incident last month in the same area.