Is Virat Kohli the GOAT? These mind boggling stats will make you say so!
There has been a lot of debate over who is the greatest batsman of all time. If we take a look at the statistics we can come to the conclusion that Sachin Tendulkar, who has been the talisman of the Indian cricket team for over 20 years, is the greatest to have ever stepped onto a cricket field. But now, looking at a special cricketer, who is also from India, we surely need to give it a second thought.
By the time we gather the stats to justify our statement, you must have already guessed who we are talking about. Yes, you are spot on with your guessing and it is none other than current Indian skipper Virat Kohli. The Delhi boy is just 29 and he has already reached heights which people never thought of reaching, at his age. Virat has been scoring runs and breaking records at ease and is without a shadow of a doubt the greatest of this generation.
But is he the greatest of all time? Well, the stats are in Virat’s favor. Virat seems unstoppable at the moment and even the pressure of captaincy cannot stop him from delivering unbelievable performances every time he holds his bat. Hitting bowlers all around the park, Kohli has evolved as a brutal run-machine who intends to become the greatest of all time.
Here are some earth-shattering stats that prove that it’s not Sachin, but Virat, who is the greatest of all time!
1) He is the fastest batsman in the world to score 10,000 ODI runs. He achieved the feat in 205 innings, which is 54 less than previous record holder Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.
2) He went from 9000 ODI runs to 10,000 in just 11 innings.
3) He is also the fastest cricketer in the world to score 8000 and 9000 ODI runs.
4) He is the fastest cricketer to score 1000, 2000 and 3000 ODI runs, as a captain.
5) Kohli also scored the most number of centuries (14) as the ODI captain of India and is only behind Ricky Ponting in the all-time list.
6) He scored the most ODI runs by an Indian in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017!
7) In 2011 and 2017, he scored the most ODI runs by any cricketer from any team across the world.
8) His total of 558 against South Africa in 2018 is the highest by any cricketer in a bilateral ODI series, while his 52-ball century is the fastest ever by an Indian.
9) He is the fastest Indian to reach 5,000, 6000, 7000, and 8000 and 9000 runs in ODIs.
10) He is the fastest cricketer in the world to 35 centuries in ODIs and he did that in 200 innings (in contrast to Sachin’s 309).
11) Virat has 20 hundreds in successful chases – in 75 innings – and has scored 8 centuries while chasing a 300-plus target while no other batsman has gone past 4.
12) With his 37 centuries, he is already second on the list of the most ODI hundreds.
13) Virat Kohli has the highest ODI average for any batsman with more than 2000 ODI runs.
Now, we did not mean to hurt all the Sachin fans out there but Virat seems to be way ahead than the master blaster (by numbers) and we seriously don’t know what figures he is going to end with when he retires.